03 August 2011

Galahad, Part II

I vaguely knew about Galahad long before I met him. Because his sister is my close friend, I'd seen a few pictures of him on Facebook, and I knew that he'd recently come home from a mission in Columbia. As far as I was concerned, that was the extent of his biography.

I met him on July 3rd around 4 o'clock PM. Don't worry. I'm not a crazed stalker. In the words of the Swede, that's just my "attention to detail".

I was standing in the Relief Society room with his sister after church. She and I were the only people in the room when he walked in and asked her a question. I immediately guessed who he was from the family resemblance.

About 20 minutes later, we were sitting around a table at Break the Fast, he on her left and I on her right, when she realized she hadn't introduced us. I hadn't really thought about it since I'd already figured out who he was. It wasn't hard. I said as much to her and discovered that I'd had only a slight advantage over him. He'd heard quite a bit about me, but he didn't know what I looked like.

To be honest, I didn't really notice him much that day. Sure, I thought he was all kinds of cute, but I was too chill to think much about it. There were sloppy joes and celery (I'm easily sidetracked by celery) and gooey brownies, and I was just having too much fun firing off witty remarks to pay attention. There's a certain mood I get in at sit-down church meals. They're when I'm at my cleverest. All I need is a brick wall and a microphone. A few weeks later, his sister told me that his initial impression was that I was funny. Yeah, I get that a lot.

The next time I saw him was Monday, July 11th when I went to the weekly singles activity. It was an unbirthday party for everyone that day. There was a piƱata and everything.

It seems to me that Galahad is always the one to start a food fight. He and his friend attacked his sister with cupcakes at that particular shindig.

I didn't participate in many of the activities that night, so the most interaction I had with him was while he was juggling Tootsie pops. One fell and rolled toward me, so I tossed it back. It made me smile.

I was still mostly immune to him at that point. All of the nervousness I felt around him was merely the usual nervousness I feel around boys. It takes me a long time to become truly comfortable around any attractive boy.

Two days later, everything changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...