12 August 2011

the beginning of the end

And thus does one of the best summers of my life draw to a close.  Today was my last all-day-date-day with The Tenor - though not our last date, just yet.  We spent it eating subway, talking about wishes, and watching Dollhouse while snuggled up on the bed, half-napping in eachother's arms. 

He's such a sweetheart.  I had a performance yesterday, and he was there in his shirt and tie, wishing me luck, calming my nerves, being my strong support, running errands and being calm and helpful.  He drove all the way out to the ends of the earth for me today to visit while I was housesitting, and even helped feed animals and clean up the scorpion I smashed on the floor.  He brought me a delicious lunch.  He bought me frozen yogurt on Tuesday, after dancing with me until I was dizzy, spinning me around in the air, and dipping me in the most romantic way possible.  He cuddled with me on the couch as we read Hamlet with a bunch of friends.  Last night, he told me he could now die happy, since he has dated a girl who could quote Star Wars in casual conversation.  He was thrilled today when I understood all his talk about his pick-up basketball game.  He was patient with my eccentricities, sympathetic to my stress, and encouraging me when I needed it.  And this is just this week!

As he was getting ready to leave tonight, he looked over and out of the blue said, "Thank you for letting me go.  You are wonderful.  You know it's nothing to do with you, right?"  Most people don't understand our relationship - I certainly have a hard time explaining it.  We're going to miss each other.  We've agreed that, for both of us, this has been one of life's most enjoyable summers.  We knew how this would be, and so, while sad, this will not be heartbreak.  It will be a wonderful friendship, with some very poignant memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...